CBSE Class 10 Maths Chapter 9 Notes Some Applications of Trigonometry
Some Applications of Trigonometry Class 10 Notes Understanding the Lesson
Trigonometry is the study of relationships between the sides and angles of a triangle. In this chapter you will study about some ways in which trigonometry is used:
- It is used in geography and in navigation.
- It is used in constructing maps, determine the position of an island in relation to the longitudes and latitudes.
- It is used for calculating the height and distance of various objects without measuring it.
Terms related to height and distance:
1. Line of sight: The line joining the eyes of the observer and the objects which he/she observes is called line of sight.
2. Angle of elevation: (When object is above the horizontal)
The angle between the line of sight and the horizontal is called the angle of elevation.
3. Angle of depression: (When object is below the horizontal)
The angle between the horizontal line and the line of sight is called the angle of depression.
Trigonometric formulae used: